For a twist on the classic apple crisp, substitute pineapples and pears.”
- 5 medium pears (about 1- ¾ pounds)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1¼ cups chopped fresh pineapple
- ⅔ cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup chopped hazelnuts (filberts) or pecans
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger or ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt or ice cream (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F. Peel pears, if desired. Core and halve pears lengthwise. Arrange pear halves, cut sides up, in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Top with pineapple.
- 2In a medium bowl, combine oats, whole wheat flour, hazelnuts or pecans, brown sugar, ginger, and nutmeg. Stir in melted butter until well mixed. Sprinkle oat mixture over fruit.
- 3Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until pears are tender. If desired, serve with frozen yogurt or ice cream.